Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Pina Colada Cupcakes

"If you like Pina Coladas
And getting caught in the rain"


Ironically it was raining outside as I made these unique and delicious cupcakes!  I made them for a wine tasting trip with a group of women I call my "Boat B****es".  We came up with the name for our little group while on a weekend cruise to Mexico and I can't think about boats, Mexican food, tequila or pina coladas without thinking fondly of these fabulous (and crazy) women!


The Pina Colada was created in Puerto Rico and in Spanish means "strained pineapple".  This yummy drink consists of rum, pineapple juice and coconut cream, none of which is usually found in the common cupcake.  Seems like a challenge to me and who doesn't like a challenge that involves drinking yummy Malibu Rum!?!  What I didn't realize when I set out to create these cupcakes was that it has already been done.  That's ok, mine won't be the first Pina Colada Cupcakes but I will make them the tastiest and hopefully the most creative!


Don't judge....I used a mix!  I don't always make my cakes from scratch (shhhhh....it's a secret)!  Sometimes when I am playing with a baking idea it is easier to use a mix until I get the flavors down and then work on my cake recipe.  With this one, I'm not sure I will stop using the mix, it was super easy and yummy!  Use any yellow cake mix or cake recipe you like and replace all of the water in the recipe with 1/2 coconut milk and 1/2 Malibu Rum!  The Rum adds to the Pina Colada experience and really brings out the coconut flavor in the cake.  I also add the Rum to my buttercream.  Can you say YUM!


The filling for these yummy cupcakes is a pineapple curd and is absolutely necessary to give it that tropical taste!


Give these cupcakes a try, you can even drink their liquid counterpart at the same time and pretend you are on the beach in Hawaii or a cruise to Mexico!  :)


Random picture of my kitchen helper, Cocoa, who is watching me make these cupcakes and begging me to drop something on the kitchen floor!

This recipe is featured on "Spatulas On Parade" and  http://www.foodiefriendsfriday.com  Linky Party

Pina Colada Cupcakes
Makes 20 cupcakes


Cake:
One box yellow cake mix (or your own recipe)
1 1/3 cups water (I substituted 1/2 coconut milk, 1/2 Malibu Rum)
3 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup shredded coconut

Mix and bake cupcakes as instructed on back of box using my substitutions for the water and adding in the cup of shredded coconut.

Allow to cool completely.  Cut and remove a small section from the middle of the cupcake to prepare for the pineapple curd filling.

Pineapple Curd:
20 oz can crushed pineapple
3 egg yolks
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces

Strain the pineapple, squeeze as much of the juice out as you can.  Should get close to a cup of juice, reserve the pineapple.

In a heavy bottomed saucepan, whisk the pineapple juice, egg yolk, corn starch and sugar.  Cook, stirring constantly, over medium to medium-low heat until curd is thick and coats the back of a wooden spoon.  This can take as long as 10 minutes or can be quicker, depending upon your stove and the temperature of the ingredients when you begin.

Take off heat and whisk in butter, one piece at a time.  Stir in the reserved pineapple and cover with plastic wrap to keep a film from forming on top of the curd.  Refrigerate until firm, this can take several hours.

Malibu Buttercream:
1 cup butter, room temperature
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup Malibu Rum (I may have added more, I am admitting nothing, LOL)

In an electric mixer, using the whisk attachment, whisk the butter at medium speed until light and fluffy.  Turn speed down to low and add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time.  Slowly add in the rum and beat until incorporated.  Turn speed up to high and beat until nice and creamy.

Assemble Cupcakes:
Pipe or spoon the pineapple curd into the hollowed out center of the cupcakes.  Pipe buttercream frosting onto the cupcakes.  Decorate the tops of the cupcakes with toasted coconut and a cherry and you will have a gorgeous and tasty Pina Colada in cupcake form!!

Enjoy!

Recipe Shared On:

This recipe is featured on "Spatulas On Parade" and  http://www.foodiefriendsfriday.com  Linky Party


27 comments:

  1. This is an awesome pina colada recipe! Love that it's all rummed out! Sounds like you ladies have a great time together, they'll be more than pleased with these cupcakes! The pineapple curd is a great filling and your liners are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you thank you Lacy! I was pretty excited about it...not often that I have an idea and it works out well the first time around!

      Delete
  2. Love your kitchen helper. I've got a great little sous chef, too. Never have to bend to pick up something off the floor! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! Never feel lonely in the kitchen and someone is always cleaning the floor for me! :)

      Delete
  3. As always, another delicious sweet treat!!

    We nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award! We're so glad to have found your blog and truly enjoy your sweet posts! Here's more info: http://www.sweetandsaltysf.com/2012/03/marthas-perfect-macaroni-and-cheese.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my fellow bay area livers!!! Thanks so much....I am so grateful to have you both as followers of my blog and am honored that you nominated me! :)

      Delete
  4. These look amazing! I'm going to be on a tropical vacation next week drinking lots of Pina Coladas but these are on the list for when I get home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun Monica! Have a couple of those drinks for me too! :)

      Delete
  5. I hate pineapple but love coconut, so the basic muffin and the topping sound perfect to me. Maybe I could use lemon curd instead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kiri! Honestly you could have this cupcake without any filling at all! You could also do a run flavored mousse filling or rum custard or coconut custard!! YUMMMM!

      Delete
  6. These sound great! And I love that you've dressed up a box recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katherine! I love cake homemade but there are times when a doctored up box works just as well!!

      Delete
  7. These would not last a minute in my house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad to say....they didn't last long in mine either! :)

      Delete
  8. Simply amazing! These cupcakes look beautiful. Pina coladas are one of my fav beverages. I'm going to have to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do...I hope you love them as much as I do! :)

      Delete
  9. These sound so amazing! Especially love the pineapple curd...never saw it before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been toying in my mind with the pina colada flavor and your cupcakes look like just the ticket. I love how they rose so high and the way you decorated these really are eye catching. I do agree the pineapple curd is a requirement-yum! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, I cannot wait to try this! The pineapple curd sounds so delicious! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is one of my favorite songs. It always puts me in a good mood when I hear it. These cupcakes would also put me in a good mood. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh. My. God. These are some of the cutest most adorable cupcakes ever :D
    You have done a gret job for sure with them!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cocoa's adorable! And those cupcakes are lovely. I'm looking for something tropical for an upcoming party. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun play on the drink! These are a perfect summertime lunch dessert or - even more fun - great to bring to the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look great! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends FRiday and remember to come back this week and share some great recipes.
    http://marlys-thisandthat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. thanks for linking in, Becky. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my heavens!! These look and sound fabulous!!!! I want one right now! Thanks for sharing, awesome recipe!! Following you now - come stop by my blog if you get a chance!

    Best,
    ~Jen @ Yummy. Healthy. Easy.

    ReplyDelete